- Otto: I'm working on this exchange fic and there is no way around it being tremendously depressing given the request I'm filling but hrrgh. So sad. :[
- Jeri: what if there are party hats
- Jeri: just write it as you normally would
- Jeri: but occasionally drop in that everyone involved is wearing a party hat
- Otto: a raptor in a party hat
- Jeri: Yes!
- Otto: that can be the trauma that I am writing about. Enjolras was eaten by a velociraptor in a party hat.
- Jeri: "trauma trauma party hat raptor trauma trauma"
Over the next two days I intend to write:
- the rest of my e/R exchange fic
- some amis fluff for a lovely anon
- side scenes for Kill the Moon to get my head back in the ‘verse
If you read Kill the Moon and happen to have things about which you are curious or characters of whom you would like to see more, feel free to put in your requests. I’ve a bit in mind for Joly, Bossuet, and ‘Chetta but that’s all the more specific it gets.
Things have been really busy and exhausting and hnngh allergies and I just haven’t been able to focus on fic or pretty much anything for a little while. So I don’t know how many people will actually see this or bother with it but here is a reminder that I am pretty much always open for Les Mis prompts (my ‘verses or general AU ideas or whatever) and I’ll always answer any questions people have about my fics. If you’ve got any right now, feel free to toss them at me and hopefully help my brain get back into a writing groove. Can’t promise responses will be very quick but I can at least promise responses.
Back from VA with a headache and a strong desire to just say fuck it and move back down there already. I mean, I can’t - I am in no position to do so just yet - but goddamn if I don’t want to. So it’s off to bed so I can get any sleep at all before work tomorrow and then bleh. Getting on with my life until the next time I head south again.
Looks like I’ve officially been changed from my sister’s Man of Honor to her fiancé’s Best Man. Good times!
I want to write but I can’t think. Bleh. Going down to my parents’ for a couple days after work tomorrow. Maybe the break and scenery change will help.
‘enjolras was presumably straight’
don’t u try it
he is only presumably straight because les mis was written in the 19th century and if hugo had written a gay character he probably would have ended up like oscar wilde or some shit.
so basically hugo would have had to make it as subtle but glaringly obvious as possible
and i’m sorry but are all the likenings to gay ancient greeks not good enough to you?
is his not knowing a thing such as woman not good enough for you?
come on what more proof do you expect from a book written in a time period where homosexuality was really really really extremely frowned upon.
Let me count the ways in which this is wrong:
Here is your “yes, please, click that read more” of the morning with a side of “gee, I love how everyone is always arguing two points of sexuality and mostly only use ace as a fall-back when they feel like their personal ship defenses are weakening.” Which is not a statement of attack on the read more by any means. It’s just my way of say that its too early in the goddamned morning for me to properly express my appreciation for some proper historical argument and also someone who understands that literary references can in fact just be literary references without actually being meant to aid or assist your sexual labeling.
This has been your grumpy ace dude for the morning.
Aww, thank you, anon. This made a rather blah day a little bit brighter. :]
I don’t often mention/post/link/etc. things from RP but when I do, it’s things like this.
Hello to any readers out there! ^^
I am going to open a Les Misérables forum soon, and I was wondering if anyone would be able to help out. I need a staff team (mods and such) as well as active members, but the forum won’t be publically open for a while.
I also need people to be able to post as the barricade boys. One of the sections is a Barricade Boy Q&A, and I reckon it’ll be good fun x3
Marius, Grantaire, Combeferre are already taken, here are the avaliable ones
So, yeah, if you wanna contact me about helping out & being in charge of playing one of the barricade boys, we’ll have a conversation through private ask or email me at the forum address: firstname.lastname@example.org
P.S I will strike out characters as they are taken!
Thank you for reading!
Admittedly, at least two-thirds of the people involved with the massive fandom revival following the 2012 film make me feel old but I don’t know. I feel like it’s nice to see all the fresh interest and watch/help people build their own corners of it from the ground up. Sometimes it’s hard to get your foot in the door in long-standing fandoms but revival and building new
barricades homes for fans makes it easier. So, you know, it’s advert time, while I take a break from fic and RP.
That said, I’m reblogging for a new forum when I am notoriously inactive in fandom discussion except where I have a specific point upon which I feel the need to rant (see: every post I make rambling on misconceptions about Grantaire, being accused of “shouting too much” about asexual Enjolras, threatening to punch people if they don’t stop making Joly and Jehan total pushovers, etc.) so who even knows if my support and/or presence in a new forum will actually be any different? Actually, maybe I’ll amend that to “who cares”?
I am quiet, except when I’m not.
And now I toddle off.
- Otto: [MEME] Name meaning, you say? "Wealthy, well-born black man." Like, my surname specifically refers to African men of color.
- Otto: A) no known history of African descent OR slavery in my family tree.
- Otto: B] what even?
- Sarah: when we get married can i keep my last name because i still wanna be of france.
- Otto: you may keep your last name forever
- Otto: because you are of france
- Otto: forever
- Sarah: vive la revolution!
- Otto: indeed
- Otto: ALSO. IF I WERE A GIRL
- Otto: MY NAME WOULD MEAN
- Otto: "FLOWERING GRACEFUL BLACK MAN"
- Otto: fun fact
- Sarah: /SCREAM
- Otto: so basically
- Otto: girl me
- Otto: is African Jehan
- Sarah: clearly you and i were meant to be, /flutters eyelashes
- Otto: Why, mademoiselle, i could not agree more. /hand kisses
Yesterday was my first day flying solo at work. I feel a bit like hell on toast. Now I have to go do it again. And then I sleep forever. Cripes.
That moment when you realize that you’re not sure if a long-standing joke is still just a joke.
Franz Kafka (via handmade-moon)
[ Fact: I love this quote. Other fact: I secretly just really enjoy Kafka. ]
au fic where joly’s hypochondria is treated with any amount of respect and accuracy, and it isn’t treated as just comic relief
Instead of saying, ‘Asexuality doesn’t exist,’ try saying, ‘Asexuality is a sexual orientation just like bi, gay, lesbian, and pan.’
Instead of saying, ‘You will know when it’s time to have sex,’ try saying, ‘Love doesn’t equal sex.’
Instead of saying, ‘Have you seen a doctor?’ try saying, ‘There are many happy, healthy relationships that don’t have sex involved in them.’
Instead of saying, ‘This will pass, it is just a phase. Everyone wants sex sometimes,’ try saying, ‘Sexuality is fluid and exists on a huge spectrum. There are many different types of sexuality.’
Instead of saying, ‘Sex is a natural part of adult relationships,’ try saying, ‘Sex and sexuality are complicated to figure out. Give yourself time and space to explore what you are feeling.’” —Asexual Awareness Week’s advice to the Trevor project, from the two-page document drafted by Sara Beth Brooks (pearlsfromthewest). (via lunasspecto)
The short answer is that R is mostly deaf. He can manage a relatively comfortable verbal conversation when talking one-on-one with someone in an otherwise quiet environment, like chatting with Enjolras in the conduit, but he can’t parse even the simplest conversation in more active surroundings, like during the raid of the safehouse.
As mentioned, though, that’s the short answer. There’s a lot more to it but I’m not sure how much of the detailed information is actually going to come up between now and the end of the fic. What doesn’t get explained as the story goes on, I fully intend to discuss in some side bits and background fic I’d like to write once the central story is done.
Thanks so much for reading! Hope you continue to enjoy. :]
Next chapter! I don’t make promises because I just sort of set goals of where I need the chapter to be by the end of it and then I just let it write itself until it gets there but plot is moving in directions that indicate their relationship is moving, too.
Also, how wrong is it that I’m just like “Should I solicit my friends to write sex scenes for this ‘verse?” Because if I were to actually try to write one myself, it almost definitely wouldn’t ever get done. I mean, that’s the only problem I ever have with writing e/R where I’ve let my characterization of Enjolras evolve into a potential sexuality outside of the asexual spectrum. I occasionally find myself going “Shit, stuff’s gonna happen and I don’t know how this works, guys.”
So I’m definitely writing my Les Mis/Scion/American Gods/whatever idea, probably in series format, like I’ve been posting the bits of To Be Wild. I just, you know, really want to write something where the cast is adjusted to pull from around the world and that fact is actually…mentioned more than once? Like, usually I’m really vague with describing characters in fic beyond what was described in canon because, honestly, their appearances aren’t usually the point for me. Let the reader imagine whatever they want. If something about their looks makes a difference, I’ll bring it up. Honestly, the only fun facts when it comes to the appearances of my amis are that, in my mind, Grantaire is always darker, shorter, and generally more compact than Enjolras. These are the things you’ll see mentioned or to which I will allude pretty constantly.
Anyway, so far what I know of this untitled ‘verse is going under a cut to save you all.
- Otto: What of this needs to be refrigerated?
- Jeri: Dip!
- Otto: I know you said dip but--
- Jeri: Dick?
- Otto: I didn't even question it for a moment! I was just like "Why does the dick need to be refrigerated? Are we saving it for someone? Does somebody need it sewn back on?"
I enjoy that the blogs tumblr occasionally suggests on my sidebar are almost exclusively members of the Les Mis fandom these days. It’s like it’s just given up. “Well, he doesn’t seem to talk about anything other than barricades, baking, and being batshit so fine.”
- Kill the Moon: If I can keep it as on-track as it’s remained since I actually figured out where I was going with it, Kill the Moon is not too terribly far from completion. I just need the time and motivation to write. Maybe I can get the next chapter up tonight or maybe not. With my early morning tomorrow, I don’t want to plan on it because I refuse to rush myself and intentionally publish a sub-par chapter just because I’m making myself antsy. May also write some side stories to go with the main fic because this world is huge and detailed and I love it. Mostly, though, I just want to get a good bite out of the next couple chapters because, I don’t know, I feel like people might appreciate some actual e/R in my e/R fic? WHAT?
- I Feel the Light: This is a rough one to write and I knew going in that it would be. It’s pretty much just going to get written as it gets written, which seems to be in bursts between working on other stuff. Helps that I know exactly how many chapters it’s going to be and I have a pretty solid plan for it.
- The Simplest Things: Oh, hi. I’ve been poking at it so maybe there will be an update to the series, if not the main fic, in the near future. I know people are missing it terribly, which I would feel sounds conceited except that people keep telling me how much they miss it and hope it’s updated soon and that makes me happy but also scared I’m going to disappoint. So we’ll see. I’m in a better place now than I was when I decided to set it aside, at least, and I am not so much worrying that I’m just projecting myself onto Grantaire anymore.
- To Be Wild: I need to get back to Sarah on this what is wrong with me. I’ve started more character pieces, sort of in line with Guide and Counsel, but I haven’t got anything complete. One’s started for Bahorel and Feuilly and another for Joly, Bossuet, and Musichetta.
- Dieux de Paris: Heads-up, I guess? This’ll probably be the next big one I start, once at least Kill the Moon is finished. Sort of canon-divergent? Steampunk-ish crossover with Whitechapel Gods, a novel I’ve been in love with for a bit now, which helpfully takes place around the same time as the Brick.
- Other stuff: I’ve also got an exchange fic to finish and the beginnings of a sort-of-but-not-really-reincarnation ‘verse swirling about my head. Who even knows where that’ll go? Certainly not me.
SWEET CHRIST ALMIGHTY WHEN DID THIS LIST GET SO LONG?
Anyway, if anybody actually reads this far, they get an internet cookie. They also get the offer of ficlets maybe? Like, idk, man. If you’ve got any questions or prompts for things you’d like to know about any of my ‘verses, my ask box is always open. I like knowing what my fics are making people think about, you know? And sometimes it helps me figure out where I’m going.
I have to wake up no later than 1:30am in order to be awake enough to leave my house by 2:15 in order to start work at 3 in order to have all of my scratch breads baked by 7:30 so that I can attend a bakers’ training seminar from 8am to 1pm in which they are going to use my home bakery as the classroom for teaching me how to do all of the things that I’ll have already done by the time the instructor and other students arrive.
There is seriously no way to explain all of that without it just sounding even more ridiculous. Swear to God. Unless I feel like throwing my managers under the bus, in which case it’s still ridiculous but at least I can say it’s just because they’ve all had their common sense glands removed. It’s a prerequisite to their positions.
P.S. If you don’t want to do the math there, 3-1 is a 10-hour day. Holy time-and-a-half, Batman. My overtime is going to be stacked this week.
Once upon a time, Otto burnt himself at work, which is really nothing out of the ordinary except for the fact that he remembered days later, upon needing to properly bandage the wound, that this house is not prepared for injuries that are too big for standard band-aids but too small to require the hospital. So Otto made a midnight first aid run and got stared at by people who really have no room to judge, since they were buying fucking shampoo at fucking midnight, ok? Seriously. What was that look, Random Shopper? You think your shampoo can’t wait but my bleeding elbow can?
Someone remind me to purchase a first aid kit one of these days. Twenty-eight years of this has proven I should never live in a place without one.
So, part of my issue this morning was pretty obviously the fact that I slept through the time when I should have taken my medication. I’m mostly better now. No longer debilitatingly disoriented or hallucinating dream horrors into reality, worked through the complete inability to track the passage of time earlier, now onto that frustrating stage where I’m able to focus on things but have nothing to actually focus on because my thoughts are still too tangled to be useful.
Ah, thank you, anon! I’m always pleased to know people are enjoying any of my fic but Kill the Moon is my first real foray into combining my personal writing niche with my fanworks so it’s something of a pet piece. So glad you like it! There should hopefully be a new chapter up later tonight.
Went for a nap and didn’t wake up ‘til a little bit ago. I am so disoriented right now and I’m going to cut the rest of this for people who are here for fandom or pretty things or whatever and not my batshit self, which has been the primary focus of things lately.
I keep being like “ugh why so tired?” And then I remember that I wake up between 2:30 and 3am for work now. “It’s only 5:30” is no longer a valid argument for why I shouldn’t just eat something and go to bed. I don’t even care. It’s worth it, though. So worth it. I can survive this job and I love what I do and it is the one non-management position in this company that gives you a legitimate leg up when it comes to applying for transfer. If I want to move back south any time after my six-months of training and trial are over, I just need to find a store down there that needs a baker and my odds of getting it are tremendous.
In other news, two more days and then two off. Plan on writing and painting, mainly. See how that goes. Once my body starts adjusting, maybe I can actually start using my newly freed afternoons, too, but right now I’m just in a fog.
I am kind of like a zombie right now, functioning solely on caffeine, and everything kind of exploded today because of all days for the health inspector to make a surprise visit and proceed to walk the perishable departments with the one member of general management upon whom I might wish a truly spectacular degree of torment it had to be my first day properly baking, but I celebrated my survival by buying myself a new easel to go with my new brushes so now I suppose I have to actually stop doubting myself and actually paint again.
Which is to say that I dreamed some weird Les Mis/Scion/American Gods crossover shit last night and I am way more fascinated by this idea than I should rightfully be. If anything actually comes of this, of course, it’s going to be the most self-indulgent thing I’ve written since I was a kid. Also probably massively depressing because that’s just how I roll.
RL: make pancakes RL: make more coffee
- RL: do laundry [where are my pants?]
- RP: BMH (replies+event) [still owe Gav and Courf]
- RP: EV (
Oliver replies+intro Grantaire) [waiting on access]
- FIC/RP: TBW (R reply+Ferre starter+set up Joly?)
- FIC: Kill the Moon [in progress]
- RL: make pancakes
- RL: make more coffee
- RL: do laundry
- RP: BMH (replies+event)
- RP: EV (Oliver replies+intro Grantaire)
- FIC/RP: TBW (R reply+Ferre starter+set up Joly?)
- FIC: Kill the Moon
When trying to find a rubber duck to give to Joly, Jehan couldn’t help buying all of the cute and colorful ones he found for himself. Courfeyrac calls them his Ducky Armada and they blocked up all the drains on Jehan’s street once so they could sail all of his ducks together.
Jehan also gives Joly all sorts of silly shaped and patterned band-aids in his birthday and holiday gifts.